Beef Kofta Meatballs with Coconut Dipping Sauce (Low Carb | Keto | Paleo)
Homemade low carb, keto beef kofta meatballs are easy to make and baked to perfection. They make a delicious appetizer, snack, side dish or main component of your dinner.
No Skewers, No Problem…
I was craving Kofta the other day, and had no skewers on hand. So I had to improvise and make them into meatballs. And, wow, they were SO easy to make and tasted amazing! If you’re wondering what kofta is, well it’s a Middle Eastern dish made from minced (ground) lamb or beef, herbs and spices.
In this recipe, I use minced beef, since it’s what I had on hand (plus, it’s a lot cheaper than lamb). However, if you desire lamb meatballs (because, well, it’s delicious), simply substitute 500g (1lb) beef with 500g (1lb) lamb.
Coconut Dipping Sauce…
You don’t have to eat these meatballs with the coconut sauce. Pretty much any dipping sauce work well with them. But, I really fancied trying this sauce recipe out and it turned out delicious.
This Coconut Dipping Sauce is made with:
- Coconut Milk – Be sure to only use the tick, creamy part, and discard the liquid.
- Coconut Aminos – This is a great, gluten-free, low carb alternative to soy sauce.
- Lime Juice – For that hint of sour.
- Ginger, Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper – For flavour enhancement.
Make Ahead, Freeze & Store…
Make these meatballs ahead of time (to absorb all those wonderful flavours). Once they have been prepared and covered (with cling film), refrigerate them for up to 24 hours in advance of cooking.
Freezing – If you are planning on making them ahead of time and want to freeze them raw, so you can cook and eat them on a later date. Simply, form the meatballs, place them in an air-tight, freezer-proof container, for up to 2 months. Thaw them completely before cooking.
Store cooked meatballs, in an air-tight container and refrigerate them for up to 3 days. Reheat them by popping them in the microwave for a minute or two, until they are warmed through.
Pairs Perfectly With…
Fancy doing a Middle Eastern Banquet? Then these yummy meatballs work well with:
Beef Kofta Meatballs with Coconut Dipping Sauce
Beef Kofta Meatballs:
- 500g (1lb) ground beef
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh mint chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
Coconut Dipping Sauce:
- 1 can coconut milk thick creamy part only
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the meatball ingredients together with your hands. Form the mixture into 16-18 meatballs.
- Place each meatball on the prepared baking sheet, spaced slightly apart. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ 400ºF and place the meatballs in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce by scooping out the thick creamy part (only) of the coconut milk into a saucepan. Stir in the coconut aminos, lime juice, ginger, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, and cook, stirring every few minutes, for 8-10 minutes, until it thickens.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 4.3g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.