Broccoli Aglio E Olio
Don’t discard those broccoli stems, as they are wonderful as a great zoodle/courgetti alternative. Spiralized broccoli stems in an easy garlic-olive oil sauce makes for a delicious, low carb lunch or light bite.
What Is Aglio E Olio…
Aglio E Olio is a popular Italian sauce that is essentially garlic sautéed in olive oil. It is super easy to make and ready in minutes. I love making this simple dish, especially when I’m hangry and need to eat something fast!
What A Mistake To Make…
I have thrown my broccoli stems away (more times that I can count), after chopping the heads into florets. But, never ever again will I make that mistake! They make for excellent noodle/ spaghetti substitutes. They have a crunch and depth to them that zoodles/courgetti don’t. Now, don’t get me wrong, I still love zoodles/courgetti, and make them on a weekly basis. However, unless I eat them raw (like in my Chicken Club Zoodle Salad), I tend to be put them in the oven, so the excess moisture is released. I do this technique in my Zoodle Bolognese Bake and Chicken Pesto Zoodle Bake.
- Electric Spiralizer – It’s important to invest in a good spiralizer. I used to have a handheld one, but because I use it very frequently, I invested in an electric one. I have zero regrets, because it’s amazing and spiralizes veggies in seconds.
- Good-Quality Ingredients – For this recipe, I highly recommend good-quality olive oil and good-quality parmesan cheese. It’s well worth spending that little bit extra on a really good ingredients, as the end result will be infinitely tastier!
- Thicker The Better – When buying broccoli, go for the ones with the thickest stems as they are the easiest to spirilize.
Gimme All The Broccoli…
Broccoli is one of those vegetables that I cannot live without. It is full of iron, folic acid and only has 4g net carbs per 100g/3.5oz serving.
If you want to make this recipe and wondering what to do with those beautiful broccoli florets, then I recommend:
Broccoli Aglio E Olio
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 stalks broccoli spiralized
- 25g / 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 3 tbsp parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to season
- optional: 1 tsp red chili flakes
- In a skillet, heat the oil over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and chili flakes (if using). Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until the garlic browns.
- Add the spiralized broccoli stems and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the broccoli becomes more tender.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in parmesan cheese and parsley, until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 2.4g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.