Broccoli & Kale Soup
This delicious, nutritious, comforting broccoli and kale soup is ready to eat in under 20 minutes!
Even though summer is basically here, the weather here in Colorado is unpredictable (which to be honest with you guys, I LOVE!) I enjoy a good stormy day in June, because it means we get to just hang out in the house, watch the wild weather, and eat delicious, comforting food…like soup! We all love soup in this house, but my two-year old is obsessed with it! It is her favorite food (with a side of low carb Irish Soda Bread, of course), and now she requests this soup on a weekly basis (sometimes multiple times a week!)
What You Need…
- Olive Oil – This can be substituted for butter or avocado oil.
- Garlic & Onion – These ingredients and flavor and fragrance to the dish, but if you don’t have any on hand, use 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp onion powder instead.
- Broccoli – Four cups of broccoli florets is about one medium head of broccoli. This nutritious ingredient is full of vitamin C, vitamin A, folic acid, calcium and fiber.
- Kale – Always trim the kale and discard their stalks. Kale has about 3.4g net carbs per cup and is also full of vitamin A, fiber and calcium.
- Chicken Stock – I love the rich flavor chicken stock brings to a soup, but if you are vegetarian/vegan, simply substitute this for vegetable stock.
- Meat – Pretty much all cooked meat will top this soup off nicely, especially ham, chicken or bacon.
- Croutons – It’s so crazy easy to make low carb croutons. Simply, melt 1 tbsp butter (or olive oil) in a small frying pan, and add some cubed Low Carb Bread Loaf/ Buttered Bread Rolls or your favorite keto-friendly bread to it. Fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently to ensure it doesn’t burn, until all the sides are crispy.
- Chili Peppers – Add some red chili pepper flakes or a couple of splashes of hot sauce to make it spicy (my preferred way!)
Make It Creamy & Cheesy…
- CREAMY – After the soup has been blended, pour 3-4 tbsp heavy cream in the blender/ Vitamix, and blend it again for 10-15 seconds, until it’s all incorporated.
- CHEESY – After the soup has been blended, stir in 1/4-1/3 cup of parmesan or cheddar cheese, until it’s melted in.
The Perfect Combination…
For a seriously easy, comforting, healthy meal, enjoy this soup with Irish Soda Bread (see below).
More Recipes You Might Like…
Broccoli & Kale Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock if vegetarian/vegan)
- 4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
- 2 cups kale trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, followed by the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broccoli. Then the kale and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until the vegetables become slightly tender.
- Pour in the stock. Reduce the heat to a low-medium, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup mixture into a Vitamix/blender and purée until smooth (about 30 seconds).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 6.6g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.