Quick Chicken Tikka Masala
This rich and creamy, quick chicken tikka masala is ready in 20 minutes! It is a one-pan, low carb meal, that is faster and healthier than take-out!
Britain’s National Dish…
I bet some of you would have thought that shepherds pie, bangers n mash or toad in the hole might be Britains National dish. But you’d be wrong, because the truth is, that the nations most popular dish is Chicken Tikka Masala.
Chicken Tikka Masala is one of my favorite Indian dishes. I used to order it every time we went to an Indian restaurant. It consists of chunks of chicken in a tomato-curry sauce. A little fact for you guys, “Tikka” means chunks of meat, and “masala” means a mixture of spices.
Most people believe that this dish is believed to have originated in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, but other people believe it was influenced in the Punjab region of India and Pakistan.
No matter where it originated from, it’s simply divine.
Keeping It Simple…
This recipe is awesome because there is no marinating. no crazy ingredients, no waiting around for 30 minutes or longer and no broiling chicken. It is a one-pot wonder that is ready in 20 minutes!
The Bare Minimum…
I like developing recipes with maximum flavor, and minimal ingredients (and, of course, low carb). The only ingredients you will need are:
- Chicken Breasts – I use two large chicken breasts, that I’ve already cut up in chunks, before cooking.
- Onion – There are just over 5g net carbs in one small onion. I don’t count my macros or care too much about the carbs in an onion. However, if you are on a strict keto diet, you can substitute this for your favorite low carb veggies.
- Coconut Oil – You can substitute this for butter or ghee.
- Tomato Paste – This gives the tomato base for the curry.
- Heavy Cream – Adds the yummy creaminess! I haven’t tried it yet, but if you’re dairy-free, try substituting this for coconut milk (and let me know howe it works out).
- Cumin, Paprika, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Ginger – The only spices needed to create that wonderful, authentic taste.
- Cilantro – Make sure to leave a little aside, to garnish!
Serve & Store…
REFRIGERATE – This curry can last up to 3 days in the refrigerator, in an air-tight container. (I double the recipe to ensure we have leftovers, as the next day it tastes even better!)
FREEZE – If stored in a freezer-safe container, it can last for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw it completely, before reheating.
3-Minute Recipe Video…
More Recipes You Might Like…
Quick Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped (plus extra to garnish)
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet, over a medium-high heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes, until onions have softened slightly.
- Add the chicken, and cook until all the sides are white and the inside is partially cooked.
- Add the tomato paste, spices and cream.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Sprinkle in some salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 3.6g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.