Cream of Broccoli Soup
This delicious, low carb, cream of broccoli soup is so quick and easy to make! It is rich, flavorful one of my family’s favorite recipes!
My youngest daughter’s absolute favorite dinner is SOUP! She is the biggest soup fan EVER! Whenever she has the choice on what we have for dinner, she ALWAYS opts for soup (with Buttered Bread Rolls!)
I love the fact that this is one of her favorite dinners, because it is incredibly EASY, SIMPLE & QUICK to make. PLUS, it means I don’t have to slave away in the kitchen for hours because it’s ready in under 30 minutes!
As long as you have vegetables, stock and a food processor, then you can make a delicious, homemade soup in hardly any time!
This Cream of Broccoli Soup requires:
- Butter – I buy unsalted butter in bulk, so that’s what I tend to use in pretty much all my recipes. However, salted butter would work fine in this recipe (just don’t add as much salt in the soup!)
- Onion & Garlic – These two ingredients are essential for flavor. But, if you are super strict with your carb count, then the onion can be substituted for a sprinkle onion powder instead.
- Broccoli Florets (about 2 medium heads of broccoli)
- Chicken stock – Chicken stock is my preferred stock flavor in most soups. This soup is easy to make vegetarian by substituting the chicken stock for vegetable stock.
- Heavy cream – This is not the most crucial ingredient in this recipe, so feel free to omit it if you’re making it vegan (just note that it won’t be as creamy!)
Optional, but recommended…
Choose one/two/three of the following ingredients for additional texture, flavorful and make it perfect for you:
- Cheese – Either cheddar cheese or parmesan cheese work well with this soup. Parmesan gives a little stronger flavor, so if you’re making this soup for the whole family, then cheddar cheese will probably gown down better!
- Meat – Even though this soup can be made vegetarian or vegan, my husband cannot fathom a meal without meat in it. So, I serve this soup with either diced ham, cooked & crumbled bacon or some shredded chicken.
- Garlic & Herb Croutons – These crunchy, garlic and herb croutons are wonderful in ALL soups! I simply cut my Buttered Bread Rolls into cubes and fried them in 1-2 tbsp butter, 1/2tsp garlic, 1 tsp parsley and 1 tsp basil (over a medium-high heat), for 3-4 minutes. After they were browned on all sides, I allowed them cool for a couple of minutes in the pan, which made them extra crispy!
Other Recipes You Might Like…
Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 4 cups / 600g broccoli florets (about 2 medium heads of broccoli)
- 3 cups / 750ml chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1/4 cup / 60ml heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, over a medium heat, melt the butter. Sauté the chopped onion and garlic for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the broccoli florets and chicken stock and reduce the heat to a low-medium. Cover the saucepan with a lid and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Pour to soup mixture to a food processor and blend for 30-45 seconds, until it is smooth. Add the cream, salt and pepper, then quickly blend again (for about 10-15 seconds).
- Pour the soup back into the saucepan and cook on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Serving: 1/4 of the soup
Net Carbs: 5.9g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.