Creamy Basil & Asiago Pesto
This creamy basil and asiago pesto is perfect as a dip, spread or sauce. It is rich, flavorful, easy to make, and only has 1g of net carbs per serving!
No Green Fingers For Me…
Here’s a little secret about myself…I am absolutely terrible at keeping flowers, plants and herbs alive! Honestly, I try and try and try, but for one reason or another…I inevitably fail.
Well, my eldest daughter is insistent that we grow our own fruits, vegetables and herbs this summer. Despite my failed efforts at keeping plants alive, I love the idea of this and couldn’t wait to get growing!
The Irresistible Basil Plant…
Last week, I took my two girls to our local nursery, only to find out we were there several weeks too early! So, even though we didn’t end up buying everything we had intended to, we did up leaving with far too many strawberry plants (the girls are a little obsessed with strawberries) and the most gorgeous basil plant EVER! Now, this wasn’t your typical basil plant that you can purchase from the grocery store…it was an “Italian Basil” plant that was over a foot tall, completely full of leaves, and it had the strongest, most incredible, aromatic smell! It was truly irresistible and I knew from the moment I smelt it, that I simply HAD to make pesto with it!
There are three things that make this the best creamy pesto:
1. Toast the pine nuts – I highly recommend always lightly toasting the pine nuts before adding them to the food processor. This only takes about 1-2 minutes, and it improves the taste and texture of this pesto.
2. Use Asiago cheese – Don’t use a mild parmesan cheese since it’s kind of bland, instead use Asiago cheese or a strong parmesan cheese to intensify the rich flavors of this homemade pesto!
3. Add heavy cream – When I cook or bake, I make my tasters (my husband and both kids) try my food. My husband suggested adding a splash (or two) of cream to it, and boy, he was SO right! The addition of cream perfectly blends all the marvelous flavors of this pesto together!
Easier Than Expected…
Pesto making is WAY easier than most people expect! All you need is a food processor and your ingredients. That’s it! The food processor is key to pesto-making. Simply throw all your ingredients into the food processor, turn it on and let it do its thing!
This creamy pesto is perfect as a:
- Dip – Serve with Garlic Dough Balls for a fun appetizer/ starter.
- Spread – Apply a layer of pesto on my Buttered Bread Rolls or Low Carb Bread Loaf, and add your preferred fillings, to make a wonderful sandwich!
- Sauce – This pesto is the key ingredient in my Chicken Pesto Zoodle Bake.
- It is also a delicious addition to soup! Simply swirl in a tablespoon or two in my Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup, for extra flavor and added yum!
Recipes You Might Also Like…
Creamy Basil & Asiago Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup asiago cheese grated
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a small, dry frying pan, for about 1 minute.
- In a food processor, blend the toasted pine nuts, basil, olive oil, grated Asiago cheese, heavy cream, garlic, salt and pepper together, until smooth and creamy. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Servings: 2 tbsp
Net Carbs: 1g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.