Crispy Carnitas Omelette
A light & fluffy omelette, with mexican-style pork, then layered with toppings is the perfect, protein-packed breakfast to start the day off right! This low-carb, crispy carnitas omelette is quick, easy and extremely satisfying!
Can’t Resist A Bargain…
More often than not, I plan our meals AFTER I go to the grocery store. This is because I am a massive sucker for anything on sale…especially meat! So, last week, my local supermarket had pork shoulders for 50% off! Yep, that’s right, I could not say no to that offer! So, as you might have already guessed by now, I bought three! Ok…you might not have guessed that, but in my defense for over-buying is the thought of never getting them so cheap again!
Pull It Baby…
Pulled pork is one of the easiest foods to ever make! Simply:
- Season a pork shoulder – For carnitas, make a rub with 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper).
- Place it in a crock pot (slow cooker) with 1″ of water, cover and cook on a low for 6-8 hours (until it reaches an internal internal temperate of 190ºF).
- Once the pork shoulder is cooked through, transfer it to a chopping board, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.
- Shred the pork by pulling it apart with your fingers or two forks!
Top Those Leftovers…
It was very early in the morning, when I looked in the refrigerator (for the milk for my tea) and saw some leftover carnitas from last night’s dinner. After that, it was all I kept thinking about. Leftovers make the best breakfasts, and this one is no exception!
There are three layers that make every bite of this omelette ever-so flavorful:
- Omelette – To make this omelette, you only need three ingredients: eggs, butter and cheese. Technically, you can omit the cheese…but I wouldn’t!
- Carnitas – Even though this recipes is called “crispy carnitas omelette”… you can substitute the carnitas for any meat you prefer, such as beef or chicken (just make sure you season them well!)
- Toppings – Another great thing about omelettes is how personal you can make them with your favorite toppings. The following are a few toppings that are not required, but heavily recommended:
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese (grated)
- Cilantro, chopped
More Keto Mexican Recipes You Might Like…
Crispy Carnitas Omelette
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup pork shoulder cooked and shredded
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat the butter in a small frying pan.
- Whisk the eggs and cheese together, then pour into the frying pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, over a medium-high heat, until lightly browned.
- In as separate frying pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat Add the shredded pork, chili pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Evenly coat the pork with the seasonings and cook for 3-4 minutes, until hot and crispy.
- Place omelette on a plate. Layer it with crispy carnitas and your favorite toppings!
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 1.8g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator