Crispy Keto Halloumi Fries (Low Carb | Gluten Free)
Warning: These low carb halloumi fries are highly addictive and will disappear fast! They are coated in coconut flour, paprika and garlic powder, and fried in oil to achieve that perfect level of crispiness.
Oh My Fries…
Several weeks ago I posted my Crispy Jicama Fries recipe. Now, Jicama is readily available in most supermarkets in America, but they are extremely hard to come across here in the UK. So I’ve been having fun experimenting with all sorts of vegetables and…halloumi cheese. Whoever came up with halloumi fries is a genius, but, you got to be careful when buying them pre-made or ordering them in restaurants, as more often than not, they contain gluten. So, I opted to coat mine in coconut flour (along with paprika and garlic powder for extra flavour) and omg…they are absolutely fabulous!
Crispy, delicious and low carb…what more could you want as a side dish or appetizer?! PLUS, they only require four ingredients and can be made in under 10 minutes!
What Is Halloumi?
Halloumi is a Middle Eastern cheese that is mild in flavor, slightly salty and doesn’t melt when heated…making it ideal for fries. It is has always been popular in the UK, and is becoming increasingly popular in the U.S…which is awesome! It is one of my kids favourite cheeses, so I nearly always have it in the fridge now.
Tips & Tricks…
- Cut the halloumi into the classic “fries” size. I recommend about 1-1.5cm (about 1/2inch), because they do expand slightly, so you don’t want them to be too chunky,
- Use a splatter guard when frying these sticks of deliciousness. They spit up quite a bit and the fat can easily burn your skin (trust me, I forgot to put a guard on when frying my first batch – ouch!)
- Don’t let the fries touch or they will stick together and not get those perfectly crispy edges! Therefore, it’s best to do them in two batches.
- Eat them straight away because if these fries get cold, the cheese will firm up. So I tend to wait about 1-2 minutes (enough time so our mouths don’t burn) then dip and dive on in!
They can be eaten as is, or dipped/ dunked in any of your favourite dips, such as sugar-free ketchup, chipotle mayonnaise or:
Crispy Keto Halloumi Fries
- 400g/ 14oz halloumi cheese
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- vegetable / sunflower or canola oil enough to fill a deep frying pan 1.5cm (1/2inch) in depth
- On a large plate, mix the coconut flour, paprika and garlic powder together.
- Slice the halloumi cheese into 1.5cm (about 1/2inch) sticks and then coat them in the coconut flour mixture.
- Heat the oil in a deep, wide frying pan. Once hot (you can test this by adding a drop of water to it, and if it sizzles then you are good to go), carefully add the halloumi, making sure they don't overlap. This may have to be done in two batches.
- Fry them on each side for 1-2 minutes, until golden and crispy. While they are cooking, cover the pan with a splatter guard (so the fat doesn't spit up at you) and rotate them using tongs.
- Using tongs or a slotted spoon, carefully remove the fries and place them on a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat until all the halloumi are cooked.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 2.9g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.