Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
This low carb, keto chicken tortilla soup ever will warm you up on those cold days. It is loaded with flavour, easy to make and is deliciously satisfying.
Bowl Of Comfort…
On a cold and rainy day, you simply need a warm bowl of soup to make you feel all warm and cozy inside. This Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup is full of flavour, ever-so comforting and incredibly easy to make!
I had my first ever Chicken Tortilla Soup at a café on the beach, in Southern California. I fell in love with the flavours and made it regularly. Over the years, I have modified (and improved) my recipe to reach maximum taste whilst keeping it low carb.
- Olive oil, onion & garlic – the perfect start to any soup or stew.
- Red bell pepper – This can be substituted for a green, yellow or orange bell pepper…whatever your preferred pepper is.
- Jalapeño – Adding just one jalapeño to this soup doesn’t make it spicy, instead it just intensifies the flavors of this soup. However, if you like your food really spicy, add in another jalapeño to it to amp up the heat.
- Chopped tomatoes (canned) – Be careful to only buy canned chopped tomatoes with no sugar or additional ingredients added to it. As I always say, read the packages carefully, as many food products can be deceiving.
- Chicken stock – The chicken stock you use really does make a big difference to soups. Therefore, always use good-quality chicken stock (it’s worth spending that bit extra for those full flavours!)
- Chicken breasts – 3 is the magic number of chicken breasts needed for this recipe.
- Cheddar cheese – Cheese is crucial for thickening up this soup…as well as adding that extra boost of comfort. I love mine mature (sharp), but it still tastes great with mild cheese.
- Optional #1: Mild green chiles – This ingredient used to be a staple in many of my Mexican dishes, but in England, they are hard to come by. If you happen to see them in them in the store, add just a 4oz can of them to this soup, for a more authentic taste.
Top It Off…
There are so many ways you can make this soup your own. Simply add any of the following (or all of them) depending on your taste buds.
- Avocado (diced)
- Sour Cream (or créme frâiche)
- Jalapeños (finely chopped)
- Fresh Tomatoes (diced)
- Extra cheese (yes please!)
- Olives (black ones work best in this soup) and of course,
- Keto Flaxseed Tortilla Chips
Let’s Talk Tortilla Chips…
For the tortilla strips, I simply followed my Keto Flaxseed Tortilla Chips ingredients. However, instead of cutting the dough into triangles, I sliced them into 1cm (1/2-inch) strips. Then, I only baked them for 5 minutes, flipped them over, and baked them for a further 2 minutes. After taking them out the oven, it’s important to sprinkle them with a little salt, and allow them cool down completely.
Note: This Flaxseed Tortilla Chips recipe makes a lot more strips than you will need for the soup. With the additional strips, you can store them in an air-tight container for up to 4 days, and eat them as a delicious, savory snack.
More Recipes You Might Like…
Keto Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 small jalapeño finely diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 3 chicken breasts
- 185g (1 cup) canned diced tomatoes
- 1 liter (4 cups) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 113g (1 cup) cheddar cheese grated
- optional: 1 (4oz) can green chiles
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and garlic, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the vegetables have softened slightly.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, paprika, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper (and green chiles, if using).
- Place the chicken breasts in the soup, cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer on a low-medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and take the chicken breasts out, and shred it them up using two forks. Then transfer the shredded chicken back into the soup.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese, until it has melted.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 4.4g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.