Low Carb Greek Salad
With a classic combination of feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumber and olives, this is the perfect side salad to accompany your favourite greek dishes!
Traditional (without the extra carbs)…
I ADORE a Greek salad. I think it’s a given that whenever you go to a Greek restaurant, a Greek salad should always be ordered as a side dish. Traditionally, Greek salads include feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, green pepper and olives. However, in this salad I have eliminated both the red onion and green pepper. I personally do not care for either of these vegetables, plus it greatly reduces the net carbs in this fresh and healthy dish.
Every bite should be bursting with flavour, so it’s important to chop the vegetables and feta cheese in bite-size pieces.
For The Salad You Will Need:
- Romaine Lettuce – It’s important to rinse and dry the lettuce before chopping it. A nice bed of lettuce, adds that extra crunch to the salad, so I never make a Greek salad without it.
- English Cucumber – I love being back in England for many reasons, including the fact that English cucumbers are super cheap over here. It’s a lot more challenging to find affordable English cucumbers in America, so I have used Persian cucumbers in the past, as a good substitute.
- Cherry Tomatoes – Yes, you can use regular salad tomatoes for this dish, but I love cherry tomatoes in this salad because they super easy to chop up and they are sweet all-year round.
- Feta Cheese – This traditional cheese is made out of goats milk, and contains 1.5g net carbs per 1/4 cup (1.5oz).
- Kalamata Olives – These are the best olives to give the salad that authentic taste and extra saltiness. If you cannot find them at your local store, feel free to substitute them for regular black olives (but it might not taste quite as good).
This easy dressing, is made in minutes. Just whisk all the ingredients together and voilá, it’s ready to pour on top!
Tip: If you are making this salad ahead of time, I advise not dressing the salad until you are ready to serve (or the veggies will end up a bit too soggy!)
More Greek Faves…
Low Carb Greek Salad
- 4 tbsp / 60ml /1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp / 30ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp / 15ml lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce rinsed, dried and chopped
- 1 English cucumber / 300g Persian cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1.5 cups / 225g cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 oz / 85g / 1/2 cup feta cheese cut 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/3 cup / 60g kalamata olives pitted and coarsely chopped
- For The Dressing: Whisk together all of the ingredients, until well combined.
- For The Salad: Mix the cucumber, tomatoes and olives together. Carefully stir in the feta cheese, so it doesn’t crumble.
- Pour onto a bed of chopped romaine lettuce.
- Toss with the dressing.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 5.6g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.