Low Carb Turkey Lasagna (Keto | Gluten-Free)
This low carb turkey lasagna is a family-favourite, comforting dish. With layers of homemade tomato-turkey sauce, baked courgettes (zucchinis) and three types of cheese, it’s a great meal for any night of the week.
A Family Favourite…
Gimme this dish any night of the week, and I will be one happy bunny. I simply love this Low Carb Turkey Lasagna. With layers of homemade tomato-turkey sauce, baked courgettes (zucchinis) and three types of cheese, it’s flavourful, nutritious and delicious.
I’ve previously posted a similar recipe which is my Zoodle Bolognese Bake, but this recipe is made leaner with minced turkey (ground) and requires no spirialising courgettes/zucchinis. Hurrah – especially for people who don’t own a spirialiser or are short on time.
It’s crucial to remove a lot of the moisture from courgettes (zucchinis), to prevent a soggy, watery lasagne. I like to bake them and make the sauce, at the same time. Lay slightly greased courgette slices on two foil-lined sheets, and sprinkle them with salt. Bake them in the oven at 190ºC/375ºF for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through. Then, place them on a paper-towel lined plate and blot them with a paper towel.
Serve This Lasagna With…
This meal can be made ahead of time and frozen for a later date. Below are two options for freezing this lasagna.
- Bake Then Freeze – After you follow steps 1- 13, allow it to cool down completely. Wrap it once in cling film (plastic wrap), then wrap it in foil, and place it in the freezer. To reheat it from this method, thaw it completely. Remove the cling film layer, place the foil back on top of it, and bake for 30 minutes, until it’s heated through.
- Freeze Then Bake – Follow steps 1-12, then wrap with once with cling film (plastic wrap), then again with foil, and freeze it. Thaw it completely before baking it. Take the cling film layer off the dish and place the foil back on top, and bake it according to the steps 13-15.
More Recipes You Might Like…
Low Carb Turkey Lasagna
- 2 large courgettes (zucchinis)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt for sprinkling
- 7oz (200g / 1 cup) chopped mushrooms
- 1 clove (tsp) fresh garlic, minced
- 500g (1 lb) turkey mince (ground)
- 1 400g (14.5oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chicken or beef stock
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4oz (1 cup) cheddar cheese, grated
- 4oz (1 cup) mozzarella cheese, grated
- 28g/ 1oz (¼ cup) parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 190ºC/ 375ºF and line two baking trays with aluminum foil.
- Slice the courgettes (zucchinis) lengthwise, into long slices, roughly 0.3mm/ ⅙-inch thick. Rub them with 1 tbsp olive oil, to help prevent them sticking to the foil.
- Place the greased courgette (zucchini) slices on the baking trays, making sure they don’t overlap. Sprinkle them with a little salt.
- Roast them for 20 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
- Once they come out the oven, transfer them to a paper-towel lined plate, and lightly blot them with a paper towel.
- Whilst the courgettes (zucchinis) are in the oven roasting, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet, over a medium heat.
- Once hot, add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have browned slightly.
- Add the turkey mince, and break it up with a spatula as it’s cooking, until it is no longer pink.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, stock, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, until it has thickened slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, roughly mix the cheddar and mozzarella together.
- To assemble to lasagna, pour ½ the sauce to the bottom of a casserole/ baking dish and spread it out to make a even layer. Place ½ the courgette slices on top, (it's ok if they overlap a little), then sprinkle on ½ the cheddar-mozzarella mixture.
- Repeat these layers by pouring the remaining ½ sauce on top and spread it out, then the remaining courgettes (zucchinis), and then the remaining cheeses. Sprinkle the top layer with the parmesan cheese.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover it and bake for a further 10-15 minutes, until the cheeses are melted and the top layer has browned slightly. If you want a really crispy cheese layer, place it under the broiler/ grill for 1-2 minutes.
- Allow the lasagna to cool down for 5-10 minutes, before slicing it. This will help it firm up.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 4.9g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.