Rocket (Arugula) & Walnut Pesto
This rocket (arugula) and walnut pesto is an extremely low carb spread, dip or sauce. It is super quick and easy to make, and ultimately tastes delicious!
I love all things pesto.
Pesto has a way of making anything wonderful. I mix it with my eggs in the morning, add it to my salads and use it as a sauce or dip with my “pastas”, bread and pizzas.
I usually use this Classic Basil Pesto recipe for most of my pesto cravings, but I had some walnut recipes that I wanted to play around with. One of them being, this beautiful pesto. And I gotta tell you guys… I LOVE it.
It is also EXTREMELY easy to make. The best tip I have when it comes to making pesto is, make sure you have all your ingredients measured out and ready to go.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Rocket (arugula) – This dark, leafy, low carb vegetable is strong in flavour and makes this pesto rich and delicious.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic in pesto is always best, but if you don’t have any on hand, use garlic powder instead.
- Walnuts – If you want to try this recipe but don’t like walnuts, you can use almonds, hazelnuts or pine nuts instead..
- Parmesan Cheese – I use finely grated parmesan cheese, to ensure a really smooth texture.
- Olive Oil – This can be substituted for avocado oil.
- Stir it in with some cauliflower rice, courgetti/ zoodles or eggs.
- Serve it as a dip along side Flaxseed Tortilla Chips or my award-winning Garlic Dough Balls.
- Spread on some Buttered Dinner Rolls or as a base for low carb pizza.
- Use it as a dressing for any salad, including substituting the mayo-dressing for this pesto, in this Chicken Club Zoodle Salad.
- Use it as a marinade or sauce for your favourite grilled protein, such as chicken or shrimp.
This pesto can store in an air-tight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days.
Alternatively, add a little lemon juice to the pesto, pour it into ice-cube trays, cover with a freezer-proof bag, and freeze it for up to 6 months. Just note that if you freeze it, then it has to be thawed at room temperature for a few house, before you use or cook with it.
More Recipes You Might Like…
Rocket (Arugula) & Walnut Pesto
- 115g / 4oz (3 cups) rocket (arugula)
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 40g (⅓ cup) walnuts
- 30g (⅓ cup) parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ tsp black pepper
- 80ml (⅓ cup) olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper/ foil.
- Spread out the walnuts on the prepared baking tray and bake them for 8-10 minutes, until stirring halfway through, until lightly browned.
- In a food processor, purée the arugula, garlic and walnuts together, until the arugula has broken down.
- Add the parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and purée until incorporated.
- On a low speed, keep the food processor running, and slowly pour in the olive oil, until smooth.
- Transfer to a serving/storing dish.
Net Carbs: 0.6g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.