Thai Chicken Curry Soup (Low Carb | Dairy-Free | Paleo)
This low carb, dairy-free, Thai chicken curry soup is unbelievably comforting and delicious! It is easy to make and way better than takeout!
Chicken Soup For The Soul…
Ever since my youngest daughter first tried soup as a baby, she has been obsessed with it! No matter what the flavor is, she loves all soups! So, it was no surprise to me that she loved this one. However, the biggest shock when it came to this soup, was how much my eldest daughter LOVED it! Even though she is a great eater, she is not the biggest soup fan. But, she devoured it! She even went back for seconds and thirds! It went down a treat with the whole family and I couldn’t wait to share this comforting and delicious recipe with you all!
- Coconut Oil – The amount of health benefits coconut oil has is insane. It’s one of those items I cannot live without! However, if you don’t have any in your cupboards, you can substitute it for avocado oil or olive oil.
- Onion & Garlic – I only use 1/2 an onion so it keeps the net carbs low but also adds that crucial flavor (along with the garlic!)
- Kale, Mushrooms & Pepper – One of the best things about this soup is how versatile it is. You don’t have to use kale, mushrooms and peppers, you can use pretty much any vegetable (that goes well with curry, of course) such as spinach or eggplant.
- Chicken Breasts – My favorite way of cooking chicken breasts quickly is to roast them in the oven at 420ºF for 20 minutes. Once they are out the oven, I cool them on the side until I can easily shred them. Another good option is to buy an already cooked rotisserie chicken!
- Chicken Stock – I have a new love of chicken bone broth. Either stock or bone broth are equally tasty options!
- Coconut Milk – This makes the soup deliciously creamy and dairy-free!
- Curry Powder, Paprika, Ginger, Salt, Pepper – These are essential spices that you can adjust to suit your palette!
- Lime Zest – Adding the zest from just one lime, is perfect for this recipe! Don’t discard the lime after zesting it, because you might want to serve this soup with a little lime juice!
- Lemongrass – Lemongrass is kinda tough. To prepare it, simply chop off the ends and smash it slightly with the back of a knife. Remember to discard it before serving the soup!
Top With A…
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Sprinkle of red chili pepper flakes – for a nice kick!
Omit the chicken breasts, add some extra veggies and substitute the chicken broth for vegetable broth…and there you have an easy vegan option!
More Recipes You Might Like…
Thai Chicken Curry Soup (Low Carb | Dairy Free | Paleo)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5oz) can coconut milk
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- Zest of one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Red chili pepper flakes for extra spice
- Trim the hard ends of the lemongrass. With the back of a knife, smash the lemongrass in a few places, to soften it.
- In the large saucepan, over a medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add kale, mushrooms and bell pepper, and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables have slightly softened.
- Add the shredded chicken, stock, coconut milk, curry powder, paprika, ginger, salt, black pepper, zest of lime and the lemongrass. Stir well.
- Reduce the heat to a low-medium, place a lid on the saucepan and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Discard the lemongrass.
- Serve & Enjoy!
Net Carbs: 6.3g
Please note, I am not a certified nutritionist and the nutritional information for this recipe is provided for informational purposes only. I aim to provide the most accurate information possible, but I advise you calculate the nutritional information yourself using your favorite nutrition calculator.